Dolly’s has so many favorite Halloween books and spooky stories, it’s hard to choose favorites! Below are Dolly’s Top 10 absolute favorite Halloween Books for the year!
And it’s not too late to skip the candies and pick up a Halloween book instead of treats for your favorite trick-or treaters! …A book will go a lot farther and be way more delicious than a kitkat 😉 And you can skip the cavities! So try satisfying your cravings with one of these spooky sweet reads!… You can have them shipped in time for Halloween weekend!
It’s a case of misunderstanding when two witches from the Haunted Forest try to invite their friends over for a Halloween feast! The stew is brewing… snake and spiders are on the menu, but who should Big Witch and Little Witch have over to eat? They make their invite list and post it on the tree, but it isn’t clear to the invitees Skeleton, Ghost and Ghoul, if they are invited TO dinner, or if they ARE dinner! This sends everyone running and hiding through the forest in this cute and silly Halloween tale!
• “Duck & Goose Find a Pumpkin” by Tad Hills. (Schwartz & Wade)
Duck & Goose look everywhere for a pumpkin but cannot find one! They check in the apple tree, in the leaf pile, inside a hollow log…. Will they ever find one?
• “Llama Llama Trick or Treat” by Anna Dewdney. (Viking Books)
Llama llama finds the perfect costume, picks out a pumpkin for a jack-o’-lantern, and then goes trick-or-treating with Mama and his friends! Dolly loves all the Llama Llama books!
All the creepy things in and around the Haunted House are hiding but we can help find them in this fun lift-the-flap board book! We also get a great count to 10 lesson while we’re having spooky fun!
• “The Spooky Wheels on the Bus” by J. Elizabeth Mills. (Cartwheel Books)
Dolly is obsessed with this book! This is a humorous Halloween-themed version of the classic song THE WHEELS ON THE BUS…with a few ghoulish tricks and treats up its sleeves! We count from One Spooky Bus up to Ten Goofy Ghosts as this Halloween ride rumbles through town, and we even pick up a few Halloweeny passengers along the way! Moms and Dads will love singing this version too!
• “I Love You, Little Pumpkin!” by Sandra Magsamen. (LB Kids) This sweet book features sturdy lift-the-flaps on each spread and blends Sandra Magsamen’s signature soft illustrations and heartfelt messages with a non-spooky touch of Halloween. Dolly loves all of the adorably costumed little ones and is always happy to see her own smiling face when a surprise mirror reveals who is loved most of all!
• “Room on the Broom” by Julia Donaldson. (Puffin Books)
This super fun book was suggested to us by our friend Wesley, a smart 2 year old with an eye for good books! The witch and her cat are happily flying through the sky on a broomstick when the wind picks up and blows away the witch’s hat, then her bow, and then her wand! Luckily, three helpful animals find the missing items, and all they want in return is a ride on the broom. But is there room on the broom for so many friends? And when disaster strikes, will they be able to save the witch from a hungry dragon?
• “In the Haunted House” by Eve Bunting. (HMH Books for Young Readers)
So many scary things lie in this house! A dad and daughter are about to find out what! This is a spooky Halloween lip the flap and touch and feel book that Dolly loves to read with me and on her own! There are glittery ghosts, soft bat wings, and surprises behind every door. The rhyming text made this our favorite Halloween find from last year!
• “Monster Trouble” by Lane Fredrickson. (Sterling Children’s Books) This was one of our favorite new books of the year! Winifred Schnitzel has more than a cute name, she’s got guts, and a zero tolerance policy on annoying monsters. Every night they come in her room, interrupt her bedtime story, wake her up with burps and growls, and the lack of sleep from this night after night is starting to drive her batty. Winifred realizes ignoring the problem isn’t working … she has to send these monsters packing! Winifred devises a few crafty plans, but when all else fails, she finds she’s always had the perfect secret weapon….a smooch from her sweet little lips will gross out those scary monsters enough to never see them again!
You can read more here! http://diapers-and-daydreams.com/monster-trouble-by-book-review/
• “Dining With Monsters… A Disgusting Way to Count to 10!” by Agnese Baruzzi. (Sterling Children’s Books) Oh boy, this was another of our recent favorites! ! Lift the flaps and find out what “delectable” treat each monster wants for supper! This sturdy hardcover book has thicker pages that will survive the roughest of readers. A really fun element that makes it different is that it opens vertically! Your little monster will love to giggle along as they meet some interesting creatures and pull down the flap to see what’s for lunch: toads, spiders and even porcupines! This is a silly counting book perfect for Halloween!
You can read more here! http://diapers-and-daydreams.com/dining-with-monsters/